Whether you are travelling light with just hand baggage, or are planning to check-in bags into our luggage car, please read the following information before arriving at the station.
Baggage allowances refer to the free baggage you are permitted to travel with. This allowance will vary depending on the ticket type you have purchased.
Business Class & Private Sleeping Cabins
1 luggage (up to 80cm long) weighing 32kg (70lbs) is the maximum per person.
1 luggage (maximum size 60cm x 40cm x 25cm) weighing 10kg (22lbs), plus a handbag, laptop or briefcase per person.
1 luggage (up to 80cm long) weighing 25kg (55lbs) is the maximum per person.
1 luggage (maximum size 60cm x 40cm x 25cm) weighing 7kg (15lbs), plus a handbag, laptop or briefcase per person.
All checked-in luggage must be secure and in good condition. Any damaged baggage can only be transported if liability is accepted by the passenger. No open or unsecure bags will be permitted.
Pushchairs and prams travel for free in addition to your individual luggage allowance, but must be checked-in to our luggage car. No pushchairs will be permitted to be brought onboard SAR trains due to the limited space available within the luggage racks.
Medical Personal Devices (MPD's) may be carried onboard the train without prior notification, only if the item is within the hand luggage dimensions.
Infants under 2 years old do not receive a seat or luggage allowance, so they will need to sit on a grown-up’s lap and fit all of their belongings in their adult’s luggage too.
Customers are strongly advised to carry personal medication within their hand luggage. Any medication that is contained within checked-in luggage will not be accessible during the journey.
Please note supporting documentation such as a prescription letter from your doctor is required when carrying personal medication within hand or checked-in luggage.
The transportation of animals is not permitted.
If any piece of checked-in luggage weighs more than the allocated allowance, customers will be requested to redistribute the contents of the luggage in order for the total weight to fall within the permitted limits.
If the number of pieces of luggage, the size of luggage or the weight of checked-in luggage exceeds the allocated allowance, customers will be requested to pay:
- 40 SR - 70 SR per extra piece of checked-in baggage. All excess baggage prices are based upon distance traveled and the weight of the excess luggage.
- 3 SR per extra kg of checked-in baggage (up to a maximum of 32kg). Applies to Economy Class only.
Terms & Conditions
- SAR reserves the right to deny acceptance for any additional excess baggage purchased in the station for safety and operational reasons.
- Excess baggage is subject to availability and is non-transferrable between passengers or between travel dates.
- The maximum weight permitted for health and safety reasons per checked-in bag is 32kg.
- Excess baggage refunds are not permitted except in the following scenarios:
- You do not travel due to a delayed or cancelled train, an overbooked train or if you are refused travel due to a ticket terms and conditions violation which is later overturned.
- Your excess baggage is not transported due to an operational or safety reason.
If you have lost something on one of our trains or at one of our stations, we will do our best to reunite you with your property.